Centre for Big Synergy (CBS), a CSO of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, is a not-for-profit, global consortium of change makers committed to create a more responsible future for all.
Our members or ‘synergists’ are individuals as well as public, private and community organisations, who currently are, or have the potential of fulfilling our vision and mission.
Vision: Create a thriving, capable and responsible future for us and generations to come.
Mission: Facilitate the responsible creation and evolution of products, practices and policies.
CBS is led by change makers from a wide range of backgrounds including academia, international development, scientific research and development, food and hospitality, sustainable development, healthcare and medicine, business and social enterprise, and creative arts, to name a few. The rich diversity of skills, expertise and experiences they bring to the table from their time in global as well as local boutique organisations, is the crux of the innovative ways of the Centre for Big Synergy.
CBS’ advisors are comprised of Fellow Synergists and globally recognised leaders in their fields of work who are helping us progress the cause of the organisation with their collective wisdom, influence and independent opinions.
Learn more about what we do and our latest global initiative – The Big Synergy Initiative, that is enabling global stakeholders to meet the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
Governance and transparency
The Centre for Big Synergy (CBS) is a purpose-driven international consortium of individuals and businesses known as ‘synergists ‘with a robust structure of Governance and transparency.
The success of CBS depends on our people and partners. We aim to reward and recognise staff, interns and volunteers fairly, to be transparent and strive to create a high-performing environment, where everyone has an equal chance to succeed. We stand by the principles on which CBS was founded and pledge to do so in the future as well.
CBS has a decentralised structure that is comprised of up to 20 advisors and two directors supported by a cohort of volunteers the size of which varies, based on project requirements. The advisors steer the board on general strategy as well as on project-specific details.
The advisory members are responsible for:
- Execution of CBS’s projects on an ongoing basis
- Managing CBS’s business, as set out in the Articles of Association
- Leading the development of strategies, policies and plans to discharge CBS’ purposes and practises
- Monitoring the performance of the business, to ensure it meets its strategic, social and environmental objectives and targets
- Promoting high standards of propriety, best practice and the efficient and effective use of staff, volunteers and resources
CBS has a significant number of mandatory arrangements in place for corporate governance and transparency, including:
- A committee structure and executive team
- A volunteer led body to steer projects forward with accountability
- Line management for staff and volunteers
- Codes of conduct and accountability for volunteers, interns and staff
- Business planning and reporting of progress
- Procedural guidance for staff, interns and volunteers
- Working with assessors and partners
- Regular and timely measure of impact and allocation of funds
CBS works with a range of government, charitable and not-for-profit and for-profit organisations that share our values and mission to facilitate and maximise synergy amongst the initiatives of individuals, professionals and organisations from across the disciplines of Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, Formal and Applied Sciences, to name a few, to aid the creation and evolution of products, practices and policies in tune with the changing demands of the people and the planet.